Tuesday, September 28, 2010

SHADE FRAGRANCE POST

Moons ago I  planted, some Passiflora edulis, Canavalia maritima, and before that, five Frangipanis.

I had to get rid of the second, while pruning  on and off the tips of the tangy fruit vine. However, the Passiflora was casting too much shade for the Frangipani..  This five,  following the urge, began twisting towards the light, something more frequently noticed in indoor plants.  Crooked, twisted, bended and mutilated trees in their form a la bonsai, may seem cool to some, not to me.

The Frangipanis are happier now. Getting the necessary light hours  required. I forgot to mention that I had to prune the white Frangipani, something I avoid, but got no choice, It was too heavy in the right side, bending towards the ground. I saved and propagated four stems.

FRAGRANCE DEPARTMENT
Cestrum *
Crinum americanum
Crinum asiaticum *
Eucharis grandiflora *
Gardenia jasminoides *
Gelsemium sempervirens
Hedychiums
Jasmines *
Murraya *
Osmanthus fragrans
Pancratium zeylanicum
Pandorea jasminoides
Passifloras *
Plumerias *
Polianthes tuberosa *
Stephanotis floribunda
Tabernamontana coronaria
Trachelospermum jasminoides
Zephyrantes chlorosolen

You could find fragrance in shrubs, bulbs, vines, and gingers.  Like taste, scent has very subjective properties. I can't stand the sweet vanilla like of Ylan-Ylan and Nerious oleander.  But I am in what seems a small minority, judging from what I hear.

There.  Gardening seems such a simple, simple, thing for most people, particularly the ignorant.  But the complexity is really wide.  That, most of the time is what triggers my abrasive annoyance particularly from people working in the green industry, nurseries, but nothing like academicians with phd's, architects, landscape architects, agronomists, monitor environmentalists, and journalists.

In essence the complex simplicity of biodiversity, the environment, is what gives sense to life, at least to mine.  I love to be with me companion Diva, and very few people.

* In my collection, same or similar variety.

The rest I can do without..Apaga i vamonoh.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the list in Fragrant Department. I like fragrant plants. I have a small Cestrum about to bloom. My red Frangipani and Thai Jasmine have no fragrance unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right antigonum, gardening seems to be simple at the beginning. But as I learn more, it's begining to be quite complex. Also, can be considered an expensive hobby ;-)

    Love your collection of plants! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One, Stephanie, thanks for the feedback.

    Fragrance takes some time to be appreciated in most. A few like Frangipani, Passiflora,
    Mirabilis siciliana, much less.

    Becoming a collector, in my situation demanded that I learn to propagate. I do not spend any money buying plants, since nurseries in Puerto Rico, are for remedial elementary night school mentalities.

    I do not buy soil, mulch, or insecticides.

    Until then...

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts