Thursday, January 6, 2011

GARDENING IN THE BACKYARD NEWS

IT has being a while since the garden was featured, but before that, let the people know that Chito, the dog next door, apparently was killed by the indifference and weather conditions by repugnant and noisy neighbors, Leo and Ilaine Pillsbury.  I just saw the new acquisition, another dog, that will probably get equal treatment. Their cat by di guay, is stray 75 percent of the time.

THE PICTURES

l-ll-1ll

This Plumeria leaf shows a quarter of an inch Tetrio sphinx  dcaterpillars discovered  discovered while monitoring for insects.

Another picture shows the leaf resting on a Costus.  I placed it there since the Plumeria shows no leaves at all for feeding, hoping a change in menu could help these creatures.  This is a strange case of nature ill timing.  The next day, I could not see any.  I never had the opportunity to observe these Plumeria and Allamanda gluttons in that stage.   When I find them, once or twice a year, non stop munching,  they are already the size of me index finger.

The following is a metal frog, and one adult Anolis lizard.  There are many and keep the garden healthy, in addition to company in the mornings and afternoons when I irrigate them plants. 

lV

That is the flower of a Datura Stramonium, considered a weed, propagated for the first time two years ago. It is a self seeding plant, now appearing in different areas of me garden since I regularly recycle the soil in pots with new compost. A relative of Brugmansias, very popular among gardeners in every continent.

The Passiflora foetida L. pictures are the firsts in any blog as far as I know. It took me a while to discover the botanical name since most gardeners with blogs do not collect.  After almost two years I found it in a NY Botanical Garden web site.

As I have stated before, there is no way to research, investigate anything down here, since the people in the Botanical Garden in Rio Piedras City,  are into pedantic/scholastic meaningless papers and tasks for themselves, having no web site with that  purpose.

Lord Nathaniel Britton spend close to two decades in Puerto Rico, between 1900-1920, if I am not mistaken, identifying and studying our flora. Thanks to his and wife work, and the New York Botanical, the information about this rare vine and others is available for the curious. 


If you like this, check the blogs, Caribbean Botanical Review and puertorrikenhadasinmostaza, for a wider glimpse of my concrete/asphalt reality.


For a future project I will present some aerial views of my garden. Something that I have not seen anywhere else.  I believe from my experience in Bayamon City, that a garden, could/should be designed from that perspective in mind also, particularly if one lives on a second story.  

Almost forgot, the green vegetation wall appearing in the background along the naked Plumeria in the south garden is Passiflora edulis.


apaga i vamonoh pal monte.



3 comments:

  1. It is so sad to hear of plant neglect, but it is inexcusable to hear of animal / pet neglect. That makes me wonder who the animal really is...

    Good point to design from ALL the views a garden will get. I strive for 3-D, sketchy stuff before putting onto a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad and next door. I feel like flogging both bastards in private or public, for being/behaving in a retarded, lower than human way toward animals and people.

    These are two riff raff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel sorry for Chito; unfortunately there is no hell for nasties like your neighbours, but fortunately there is no heaven either for them!
    Ciao T♥

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts