Monday, April 16, 2012

PROPAGATION OF PLANTS IN FIRST DIVISION GARDENING

WHAT the hell could that tittle mean? 

We will get there soon. First, let me share the fun of watching/listening to Katy Griffith, a comedian.  If there was such kindness in my heart--to stand up to make people laugh--that is the way to go. Blunt, abrasive, no pity.  Good with gestures, body language, delivery, accents of the native or imported, migrants of  the ' Eastern block', for example.

I do not know of any men or woman in that field so obnoxious, with an irritating voice, which may be the way some perceive yours truly.  Gay people, one of her themes have never been better portrayed.  Take marriage, that previous monopoly of heteros.  Wait until those  gay lengthy litigation procedures for divorce,  division of wealth, goods and child visitation/custody, start.

It is time for the tittle.  

Last Thursday, I received a message from an obscure character, originally from some neck of the woods in USA,  who now lives in Puerto Rico.  The virtual relation started when I shared some of my photos/blogs, mistakenly thinking there was some point of interest between what he does for money, and what I do to 'set trends/kick butt' or both, at least mentally.

As it is often the case, in similar situations,  I perceived indifference, disconnection and lack of interest in gardening/horticulture or the photos.  The least I would expect from a photographer, is a comment in either direction, I could care less, if negative/positive or none of the above. 

In his out of the blue message it was mentioned the embracing of gardening, but not the intention, making money as his other activity, selling photos.  I wondered why the hell is this guy telling me this, now, after a year or two of my initial naive message?

Right now, at this moment while I write, I do not know.  It does not matter, really.  What is relevant, is to share my observations of one photo.  It is worthy of an essay about ignorance. 

It depicts him with a prominent beer belly, Larry the Cable gay sleeve less shirt and  construction gloves.  He contemplates in awe his stupid looking work, sweaty, worn out, admiring his Cocos nucifera*, can not remember if four or six of them.  All planted wrong!  To close to each other and even worse, below a canopy of vegetation, totally inadequate for them coconuts, in my humble opinion, my way or the highway fashion.  

He has decided to begin propagating different species of  the most useful, tall, strong of all grasses from seed. I suppose with the intention to sell to the public.

The first division of gardening, in terms of language, is no different from that in  futbol, soccer they call it in USA. Preferably, Barsa my favorite or Real Madrid. You should have gotten my drift by now.
I will not write my traditional opinions, for the hell of it.  Instead I will share what every gardener, particularly in the beginning stages
of their career, vocation, mercenary job, or pass time should have bothered to learn, research, find out, before digging the first hole, at least if you have a computer, read here and there, this or that.

THE COMPLETE BOOK OF 
Plant Propagation
by 
Graham Clarke
Alan Thoogood 
pages
6-7

The Greeks 

Some 2000 years ago the Greek philosopher Theophrastus, who is best remembered for his botanical works and the book, Enquiry into Plants, wrote of the widely cultivated plants of the day.  Olive trees, and date palms were grown from seeds, and so were rather more familiar garden vegetables, such as beet, cabbage, celery, cress, cucumber, leeks, lettuce, onion, radish and turnip. Parsley, thyme and hollyhocks also feature heavily in the ancient writings. 

Cuttings from plants were also described by Theophrastus.  The earliest types of cutting were, in fact, rooted suckers which had been unceresmoniously pulled off the parent plant and set in the ground.  Today we call these pieces of shoot with roots attached: 'Irishman's cuttings'.  However, it had been observed that some plants could be propagated successfully by taking cuttings without roots already attached, and these included almond, apple, basil, bay fig, marjoram, pear and pomegranate.

Propagation  is probably the most important aspect of gardening. Disease diagnose the second.  I can understand and tolerate ignorance about any other aspect of planting, to be more specific.

When I think about it, illiterate farmers and gardeners of other latitudes know from experience or watching others these issues, or not.  What I do not understand is when this type of event take place.

In Isabela City, Puerto Rico, some bored inner city youth decided to restore some prominent sand dunes by the beach in the mentioned town with their photos displayed in Feisbuk, but no sand dunes, that is trend of every jerk embracing the environment.  When I required and demanded a botanical list of saline tolerant erosion control vegetation, the moder sukers responded that I had no identity, since I use a nome de plume. Believe it or not. 

to be continued..
Romans and Chinese are next

*
Cocos nucifera are originally from Asia. When 
Columbus arrived down here there were none. I believe that any palm in many contexts ruins any
installation.  In the south of the island,  the infestation is of a lesser magnitude. Their abuse in Puerto Rico, is abominable.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts